Sunday, March 16, 2008

Immortal Beloved


Bill O'Reilly on one of his shows decided to share some of his favourite movie scenes, I thought I would follow suit with one of my own.

In this movie Ludwig van Beethoven had two loves. One was his music the other his 'immortal beloved.'In this particular scene a student of his suspects he is deaf and so tricks Beethoven by hiding in another room with a peep hole as she watches Beethoven he can't resist the piano which stands there taunting him..He has to play it. Though he cannot hear, he finds a way at least to feel his music....Watch this scene you will be moved.

Good morning, on July 7
Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, not and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us - I can only live wholly with you or not at all - Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the lands of spirits - Yes unhappily it must be so - You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never - Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves. And yet my life in V[ienna] is now a wretched life - Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men - at my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in out connection? My angel, I have just been told that the mailcoach goes everyday - therefore I must close at once so that you may receive the l[etter] at once. - Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve out purpose to live together - Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell. -Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of you beloved.

ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

Ludwig