Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gimme, Gimme ...


Imagine our conversation if I told you I wanted all the things you were capable of giving me, but I didn't want you.

"I want your support. Life is tough and I need to know someone is always on my side. I want your understanding. Mistakes happen. I need someone who won't look down on me every time I fall. I want your help. Some things are just too difficult to do on my own. I want your love so I will always feel loved. I want your protection so I will always feel safe. But... I don't want you."

"I don't want to associate myself with you in public. If people don't like you, they won't like me. I don't want you to show me the way down any paths. I go where I want to go. I don't want you pricking my conscious with definitions of right and wrong. I do what I want to do. I don't want you revealing any plans you have for me. I have plans of my own. I don't want you calling on me when there's work to be done. I'm a busy person. I don't want you interrupting my life."

What kind of a response do you think those 'wants' and 'don't wants' would invoke?

Sure? No problem? I'm in? What can I do for you first?

Hardly.

Silence?

Likely.

It's difficult to imagine anyone expecting so much, and so unwilling to give anything in return.

Yet...

How many of us are having that same conversation...

Right now...

With God?