Friday, January 2, 2009

Requests For The New Year


What shall I ask for the coming year?
What shall my watchword be?
What should thou do for m, dear Lord?
What can I do for thee?

Lord, I would ask for a holy year,
Spent in thy perfect will.
Help me to walk in thy very steps;
Help me to please thee still.

Lord, I would ask for a trustful year,
Give me thy faith divine,
Taking my full inheritance,
Making thy fullness mine!

Lord, I would ask for a year of love;
O let me love thee best!
Give me the love that faileth not
Beneath the hardest test.

Lord, I would ask for a year of prayer,
Teach me to walk with thee;
Breathe in my heart the Spirit's prayer;
Pray thou thy prayer in me!

Lord, I would ask for the dying world,
Stretch forth thy mighty hand;
Thy truth proclaim, thy power display
This year in every land.

Lord, I would ask for a year of joy;
Thy peace, thy joy divine,
Springing undimmed through all the days
Be thy days of shade or shine.