Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What Mary Did Not Say


I was reading a book over Christmas about how Our Lady responded to Gods call and the meaning of the few words she spoke recorded in the Gospels. After contemplating different elements of the book I wondered what would have happened if Our Lady had responded to Gods invitation in a totally human, selfish way. And how do we respond to Gods Will.


So this is what Mary did not say.

"Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you." ..."Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end."

Mary: "But ArchAngel Gabriel, I am still not married so if I were to suddenly appear pregnant this would ruin my reputation in the eyes of my neighbours and my betrothed, Joseph. And if I say I have seen an Angel the people will scoff at me and think me mad. In the end what others think of me is more important than to follow God's Will."

Do you follow God's Will or are you more concerned with 'what will the neighbours think?'

"The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God."

Mary: "you know this and I know it but my family, my friends and my neighbours will not know this. Once again what will people think of me? They will think me disgraced how could I bear such a burden. It is all too much for one so young."

If you are accused of something you did not do, can you persevere through misunderstanding and remain at peace because God knows you are innocent? Or do you rail against the injustice of it all?

"And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; for nothing will be impossible for God."

Mary: "This is great news for Elizabeth and her husband and I know that nothing is impossible for God except controlling human opinion or gossiping tongues. Elizabeth is married so when she gives birth there will be great rejoicing and noone will accuse her of anything. With me it will be different for I am unmarried and many people will think ill of me. And there is Joseph to consider, he will never understand and I do not wish to hurt him...So thank you but no thank you Archangel Gabriel."

+++++++++++++++++

When reading the fake discourse above can we truly appreciate Mary's Fiat, for indeed she would have faced questions from the community where she lived. There would have been raised eye brows, hushed whispers and much finger pointing.

Thankfully Mary put Gods Will first. Do you?

Written by Marie.