Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent What Can I Give Up For God?


I was inspired to write this piece because of a post I read over at A Catholic Mom Climbing the Pillars. I expanded on the issue.


What can I give up for God?

This is the one sentence that many Catholics say that I just dont 'get.' After all, what can we give God?

A God who created the universe, galaxy upon galaxy, planets including our own planet earth and who also Created that which man's eyes has not yet beheld.

So what can we give up for God?

Will it matter to God if you go without sugar during Lent? Or if you give up putting cream in your coffee? Is this what Lent is all about? Going without cream or sugar?

Rather than think 'what can I give up for God,' turn it around and say, 'what can I do with God?' How can I give as God gives?

What do we prize most? Our time. We have time to spend on the computer, we make time to watch our favourite programes on TV. We set aside time to read our favourite books.

How much time do we spend visiting the sick, the lonely and the oppressed?

This Lent think about making a difference in someone else's life. Spend your time giving your company to one who is lonely and abandoned, those poor elderly souls sitting lonely and unloved in nursing homes. It is these wonderful gentlefolk who have become the West's, 'untouchables.'

Forget about going without sugar or cream but rather give of your time to one who needs you right now. Spend an hour a week where it matters, giving yourself to another because you love.

Give Love and Love will give to you.