Sunday, July 29, 2007

Memos from your child




Don't spoil me. I know quite well I shouldn't have all I ask for. I'm only testing you.


Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. It makes me secure.


Don't let me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.


Don't make me feel smaller than I really am. It only makes me behave stupidly.


Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it. I'll take much more notice if you talk to me in private.


Don't protect me from consequences. I need to learn the painful way sometimes.


Don't make me feel my mistakes are sins. It upsets my sense of values.


Don't be upset when I say "I hate you". It is not you I hate, but your power to thwart me.


Don't take too much notice of my small ailments. Sometimes they get the attention I need.


Don't nag - if you do, I'll have to protect myself by appearing deaf.


Don't make rash promises. I feel badly let down when these promises are broken.


Don't forget I can't explain myself as well as I would like to. This is why I am not always very accurate.


Don't tax my honesty too much. I'm easily frightened into telling lies.


Don't be inconsistent. It completely confuses me and makes me lose my faith in you.


Don't put me off when I ask questions. If you do, you'll find I stop asking and seek information elsewhere.


Don't tell me my fears are silly. They are terribly real to me.


Don't ever suggest that you are perfect or infallible. It gives me to great a shock when I find out your are neither.


Don't ever think it's beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apology makes me surprisingly warm towards you.


Don't forget how quickly I am growing up. It must be hard to keep pace with me, but please try.


"Train up a child in the way he is to go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it"
....Proverbs 22:6