Sunday, September 28, 2008

Song....


O lady, when the tipped cup of the moon blessed you

You became soft fire with a cloud's grace;

The difficult stars swam for eyes in your face;

You stood, and your shadow was my place:

You turned, your shadow turned to ice O my lady.

O lady, when the sea caressed you

You were a marble of foam, but dumb.

When will the stone open its tomb?

When will the waves give over their foam?

You will not die, nor come home, O my lady.


O lady, when the wind kissed you

You made him music for you were a shaped shell.

I follow the waters and the wind still

Since my heart heard it and all to pieces fell

Which your lovers stole, meaning ill, O my lady.


O lady, consider when I shall have lost you

The moon's full hands, scattering waste,

The sea's hands, dark from the world's breast,

The world's decay where the wind's hands have passed,

And my head, worn out with love, at rest

In my hands, and my hands full of dust, O my lady.



Ted Hughes