Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What Did You Say, Lord?


She was lonely, and I gave her no friendship;
She was sad, and I gave her no cheer;
She was despairing,and I gave her no hope.
Yet I say, “Where have I failed Thee, Lord?”

Her child was sick, but I polished silver;
Her husband was fired, but I showed her my new suit;
Her friend let her down, but I went shopping.
Yet I say, “Where have I failed Thee, Lord?”

Her confidence was betrayed, then I told her the minister’s faults;
her faith was faltering, then I was critical of the church;
Her soul sought salvation, then I hurried off to my club.
Yet I say, “Where have I failed Thee, Lord?”

Wait! Did I hear Him say,
“You do not understand her needs.”
Did I hear Him say, “You were too busy.”
Did I hear Him say, “You are of little faith.”
Or did He say, “Why call ye me ‘Lord’?”