Thursday, August 30, 2007

Home Economics a Lost Art?


Over at Alexandra's blog there is a recipe for good old fashioned apple cake. It got me thinking that there is so little knowledge being passed down to the next generation of how to keep a home with frugal but comforting housekeeping tips.


I spent a few years working for a Catholic charity and I know for a fact that many young people do not know how to cook. Many in fact live on fast foods without ever going near a stove.

I remember one woman in particular who had 6 children. The mother in question phoned for assistance and when I visited her I found that her crisis was that she had no money to buy Mcdonalds for her family. I am not joking this is a true story.

When I asked her had she thought about making some stew for her large family she looked at me quizzically and asked, 'what is stew?'

The knowledge of how to keep and maintain a wholesome and healthy lifestyle is slowly being eroded by our fast food generation.

Have any of you ladies thought to hold Home Economics in your community to try and teach young Mothers the art of home-making?

I hope you will consider it as it is very much needed.