Friday, April 4, 2008

Ode To Old Age


Just a line to say I'm living

That I'm not among the dead

Though I'm getting more forgetful

And all mixed up in my head.


I got used to my Arthritis

To my dentures I'm resigned

I can manage my Bifocals

But dear God I miss my mind.


For sometimes I can't remember

When I stand at the foot of the stairs

If I must go up for something

Or have I just come down from there?


And before the fridge so often

My poor mind is filled with doubt

Have I just put some food away?

Or have I come to take something out?


And there's a time, when it is dark

I stop and hold my head

I don't know if I'm retiring

Or am I getting out of bed?


So, If it is my turn to write to you

There's no need getting sore

I may think that I have written

And don't want to be a bore


So remember that I love you

And wish that you were near

But now it's nearly mail time,

So must say "good-bye dear"


Here I stand before the mail box

With a face so very red

Instead of mailing you my letter

I went and opened it instead.


Anon