Saturday, November 17, 2007

An Attic Offering


I recently came upon a note -- copied in the fair hand of a grandmother -- in a trunk in an attic. The author is unknown, but isn't it interesting that despite all our modern technology, some things never change.


"One of these days I must go shopping. I am completely out of self-respect, and I want to exchange the self-righteousness I picked up the other day for humility. They say it is cheaper and wears well. I want to look at some tolerance, which is being used for wraps this season.

Someone showed me some pretty samples of peace -- we are a little low on that; never seem to have enough. And I must try to match some patience that my neighbor wears; it is very becoming to her and might look nice on me. I want to try on the garment of long-suffering they are showing; I never wanted to wear it, but feel myself coming to it.

And I must not forget to have my sense of appreciation mended, and look for some everyday goodness. It is surprising how quickly my stock of that is exhausted."


Author unknown.