Friday, November 2, 2007

Gratitude - Get Fired Up About It!!



We are forever trashing God and His holy name when things go wrong. We curse and scream and threaten to not believe in Him anymore. When things are going right, we occasionally say “thank you” and maybe even go so far as to list out a couple of things we are most grateful for, but never with the amount of enthusiasm and energy that we do when we are mad and life is holding them in the trenches.

So it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, God would like to see us be as passionate about the good things as we are about the bad so I’m issuing a challenge:

GET FIRED UP ABOUT GRATITUDE!

C’mon! Holler it out! Raise your fists! Find the things you are most grateful for and put that same level of inflection and volume into it that you do when you are so mad at Him you can’t even see straight. Really let it rip!

Here, I’ll go first:

Oh God, WHY? Why did you give me such a safe and beautiful house to live in? Why? What did I ever do to deserve having a job that pays all my bills, that cares for my needs and wants, and that puts food on my table every single day? What ever were you thinking when you put this notion in my head to blog about You so that I would end up meeting all these wonderful and fascinating people that add so much to my daily life? Are you just INSANE? I mean who in their right mind would give so much to someone who is not worthy?

And the dogs, God…THE DOGS! You practically layed Sergio ( bka Joey), Chacha, Ming-ming, Zan-zan and Lleano at my feet and then stood back and let me scoop them right up. HOW COULD YOU???!!! I’m lavished with love every day now because of those little creatures. Some days I don’t know if I can stand it all, it’s so overwhelming!

And don’t even get me started on all the gadgets I have in my room! Really, God, WHY ME? I don’t deserve to be treated like this I tell you! I look all around me and I see friendships and love and joy and excess and blessings. Who do you think you are??? Did I ever ask to be treated like this? Well…DID I?

Your Son died on the cross for my sins and because of that I get to spend eternity in Your presence. Are you kidding me? So all I have to do is accept this gift and we’re even? No paybacks, no retribution, no becoming a missionary and having to move to Zimbabwe? Who would do such a thing? Sometimes I wonder if all of this is real because my life is just too good. Surely you have messed things up and are just waiting to take it all back, no?

No?

Really?

Thank You!!!